The McLaughlin Group Team

The McLaughlin Group Team
www.TheMcLaughlinGroup.com

Saturday, August 6, 2011

BLINDS WIDE OPEN -day 153 Outre'

It was my first year in real estate and my first real listing. The photography was completed and I was ready to launch this new listing except for the property description. It was a classic 1930's home built by a set decorator and the home was worthy of a Hollywood movie-like description. Most of you know me and realize that the words I use are simple, straightforward and not meant to impress. The lady that lived there was a very cultured lady, well traveled and by the looks of her book cases, very well read. The depth of her vocabulary was remarkable and the words rolled off her tongue effortlessly. Many times I found myself nodding my head in agreement but at the same time, struggling to find the meaning of the big word she had just dropped on me. Needless to say, the first listing and this lady made the property description a real challenge. I wrote a thorough description of the property and covered everything..It was brilliant! A week or two had passed with some showings but no takers. I arrived early to the office and there was a three page hand written fax that expressed displeasure about the description of her home. I was horrified as I read it over and over again. Right in the middle of her fax, there was another one of those words and my eyes were fixated on it. She was suggesting if it were possible for me to make the description "a bit more Outre". "Outre", just saying the word makes my rear tighten as I picture myself sipping tea with the more refined members of society. "Outre" you have to pucker your lips when you say it. Here is the definition: Out of the common course or limits; extravagant{2}; bizarre; outlandish{2} It's not that scary after you read the definition but 13 years ago, one early morning, that word scared me to death.

This is Dave, from The McLaughlin Group, keeping it real in real estate!

No comments:

Post a Comment